1) The word ‘dole’ and its northern spelling ‘dale’ were commonly applied in the past to portions of land in the town fields, that is the plough-land and pasture held in common.
In parts of the West Riding the compound ‘byrdale’ dates from the thirteenth century: n.d. quinque byrdall terre iacentis in Australi parte illius campi, Lepton
1437 iacent’ in byerdole in le more de overwhitlay
1483 inter Le Byrdoles et le holme, Dalton. By the sixteenth century this word was linked regularly with ‘fields’ which were specifically land under the plough: 1523 towching the exchaunge and delyng of all such landdes as lygges dewydele [sic] in the biredole feldes, Stainland
1579 no man shall tether nor yate on our biardoll feildes until all the corne be ridd owte, Dewsbury. It probably remained in use as long as the open field system survived: 1650 two doles of land lyinge in Byerdole in a place called the Carrheades, Lepton.