1) These terms were once customary in the neighbourhood of Cawood and Sherburn in Elmet, estates of the Archbishop of York.
In 1699, for example, a tenancy described as one halfe Penny place nere piperbridge in Cawood was surrendered to Henry Garbut of York: in 1700 Francis Brindholme surrendered three acres of penny land called the Haggsteeles and … one penny place in Ryther gate . Similarly, when Edward Barkston died in 1556, he bequeathed property described as one penny place … in Shereburn and fyve rodes of pennye land in Barkestone Feildes. In 1711, William Storr listed the dues payable to the archbishop: Fines for a messuage, head of a whole oxgang, penny place, cottage, penny land, penny ings. Perhaps these developed from the term ‘penny farm’, used of lands which were free of services but subject to a money rent: 1398-9 ‘farm of Hillam ... leased at Penifarm’
1404 ‘all the remaining bovates there are leased at Penyferm’, Selby.