1) A local word for a steward or overseer, noted only in Lepton.
In the 1530s, several of the tenants there were indicted for selling coal to persons outside the township, and fines of 12d were exacted for each cart load. The rolls continued to list numerous offenders and in 1540 four men were elected as Pyttegreyffes. They could be called on to serve more than one term but there is no obvious pattern to the appointments. In 1547, Adam Hochonson, Robert Bayldon, Robert Crawshay and John Coken were named as pittgreves and supervisors.