1) Occupational term for the maker of anvils.

The anvil is the iron block on which smiths shape the metal they are working, and the use of the word in England goes back to the Old English period. Although it is rare in Yorkshire, where ‘stithy’ is more commonly employed, it occurred occasionally in the occupational term anvil-maker in the Sheffield registers: 1720 Thomas Kirk, anvilmaker

1744 John Cooper anvil maker. The OED has ‘anvil-smith’ from 1831 and lists ‘anvil-maker’ but without references.

places Sheffield
dates 1720 1744

Related Content Loading...

Photo by Kreuzschnabel CC BY-SA 3.0